Under federal law 49 CFR Part 390, any motor carrier operator who crosses state lines and is for-hire is required to submit an FMCSA application. This application authorizes your interstate travel, and must be in place before your company’s driver(s) are legally able to travel across state lines for business. The Motor Carrier application must be renewed every 2 years.