DOT Number Deactivation / Out of Business Notification
Make Sure before you deactivate or suspend your U.S. DOT number, please ensure that you do not need it.
You are required to have a U.S. DOT Number if:
- your vehicles have a gross-weight rating of 10,000 pounds or more (note that this applies to the combination of vehicles as well, i.e. vehicle and trailer combined)
- your vehicles are used to transport 8 or more people (including the driver) for profit
- your vehicles are used to transport 16 or more people (including the driver) not for profit
- you haul hazardous materials (HazMat)
No longer need a U.S. DOT Number complete deactivate it
The DOT number is not restrictive to interstate companies. In the event that you conduct business inside state lines (intrastate), you will be required to utilize a DOT number and all requirements listed above will apply to your business. If you have a question regarding DOT qualifications, please contact us at (202) 660-1434
DOT Number Deactivation How to file
This application revokes and deactivates a U.S. DOT number in all agencies. Paperwork will be filed with the FMCSA and the U.S. DOT to close your DOT number per FMCSA..
DOT numbers that are not deactivated are still subject to federal mandates and you may be penalized for noncompliance.
HOW TO FILE YOUR OUT OF BUSINESS NOTIFICATION
- Ensure you are using this page to update your OUT OF BUSINESS filing.
- Select your quantity (default qty. is 1)
- Click “Add to Cart”
- Proceed through Checkout and pay online
You will be contacted by compliance coordinator to certify your deactivation.