The MSC-150, or Biennial Update enables the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) to stay up to date with your relevant business changes active Carriers must complete and update Operating Authority every two years is per CFR part 49 article 390. Any time a carrier or business changes its address or Name , or other details in their information with FMCSA, they should update their US DOT and operating authority in a timely manner. In addition, All Operation classifications including Private property FMCSA requires all entities under its jurisdiction to update their information every two years:
Why do I need the Motor Carrier Identification Report (MSC-150)?
- The MSC-150, is a special form needed to file or update your USDOT number.
- FMCSA requires you to fill out this form and update your information every two years.
- If you are no longer in business, you must file your MSC-150 to notify you can’t deactivate US DOT number online or by phone.
- Failure to submit your Biennial Update will result in the deactivation of your USDOT number.
- Failure to comply may also result in civil penalties of up to $1,000 per day ($10,000 max).
- If you are no longer using your US DOT number, you must file an out of business notification to avoid any unauthorized use of your US DOT number.
What is the Deadline to update?
Filing schedule: Each motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider must file the appropriate form at the following times:
- Before it begins operations; and
- Every 24 months according to the following schedule:
If the next-to-last digit of its USDOT Number is odd, the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider shall file its update in every odd-numbered calendar year. If the next-to-last digit of the USDOT Number is even, the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider shall file its update in every even-numbered calendar year.
|USDOT number ending in:||Must file by last day of:|
Once you complete the transaction, you will:
1. Be contacted by a compliance coordinator to confirm your company information
2. Receive a document that requires a signature to complete the update
3. Receive confirmation and receipt once your MCS-150 has been uploaded in the system
(usually within 24-48 hours)