Application for the Motor Carrier Identification Report and Hazardous Materials Safety Permit

Registering HAZMAT

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) mandates offerors and transporters of certain quantities and types of hazardous materials (HAZMAT), including hazardous wastes, to file an annual registration statement and pay a fee (see 49 CFR 107.601 – 107.620). The fee pays grants to States, Indian tribes, and nonprofit organizations for hazardous materials emergency response planning and training, as well as to select professional associations for training purposes. This program began in 1992 and is handled by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration of the Department of Transportation (PHMSA).

If you offer for transport or transport in commerce goods containing any of the following categories of hazardous items (including hazardous wastes), you must register.

A. A highway route-controlled quantity of a Class 7 (radioactive) material as defined by 49 CFR 173.403. A “highway route-controlled quantity” can indeed be transported via road, rail, air, or water.

B. More than 25 kilos of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 (explosive) material in a motor vehicle, rail car, or freight container (see 49 CFR 173.50).

C. More than one liter (1.06 quarts) per package of a extremely hazardous by inhalation item (a “material poisonous by inhalation” meeting the criteria for “hazard zone A” as described in 49 CFR 173.116(a) for gases or 173.133(a) for liquids).

D. A hazardous material (including hazardous wastes) packed in a bulk container with a capacity of at least 13,248 liters (3,500 gallons) for liquids or gases, or more than 13,24 cubic meters (468 CF) for solids. Even if placards are not required, a person who offers or transports hazardous materials in bulk packaging with a volume higher than 3,500 gallons or 468 cubic feet must register (e.g., a Class 9 material).

E. A shipment of 2,268 kilograms (5,000 lbs) or more of one class of hazardous materials (including hazardous wastes) in packaging other than bulk packaging for which placarding of a truck, rail car, or freight container is required for that class.

F. A quantity of hazardous materials that must be marked. The standards for placarding are outlined in 49 CFR 172 Subpart F and summarized on our website. NOTE: The shipment of any quantity of a hazardous item, excluding Division 6.2 and Class 9 materials, in bulk packaging is subject to placarding and registration. This includes residues remaining in a tank truck or rail tank car that has not been purged. Those who return such packaging must register as potential shippers of placarded hazardous items.

HAZMAT Safety Permit

Intra-state, Inter-state, and foreign motor carriers transporting certain types and amounts of hazardous materials (HM) are required to hold a Federal Hazardous Materials Safety Permit (HMSP) issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

According to 49 CFR 385.403, motor carriers transporting the following hazardous materials in these quantities are required to obtain an HMSP:

Radioactive Materials — A highway route-controlled quantity (HRCQ) of Class 7 materials, per 49 CFR 173.403.

Explosives – More than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) net weight of a Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 substance, or a quantity of a Division 1.5 material requiring a placard. (Reference: 49 CFR Part 172 Subpart F)

Toxic by Inhalation Materials in Hazard Zone A – materials in containers larger than 1 liter (0.26 gallons).

Toxic by Inhalation Materials in Hazard Zone B – materials packaged in bulk containers with a capacity higher than 450 L [119 gallons] for liquids and a water capacity greater than 454 kg [1,000 lbs] for gas receptacles (49 CFR 171.8 specifies bulk packaging for liquids, solids, and gases).

Toxic by Inhalation Compounds in Hazard Zone C or D – materials packaged in 3,500 gallon bulk containers.

Methane – A shipment of compressed or refrigerated liquid methane, natural gas, or other liquefied gas containing at least 85% methane in bulk packaging with a capacity equal to or more than 13,248 L (3,500 gallons).

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) registration procedure asks businesses to specify the sort of enterprise they intend to establish (Motor Carrier, Broker, Shipper, Freight Forwarder, and/or Cargo Tank Facility). FMCSA is responsible for enforcing compliance with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR) and the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR), which govern both safety and financial accountability.